Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fragility with Age


I haven't continued working on this blog in some time. Life, as always, intervenes. However, I am still available to discuss NM in cats with anyone who wishes to leave their contact information on this blog.

In the meantime, Fluffy is coming up to his 10th birthday, if I am reckoning right. He is still happy and mostly well, but is increasingly fragile in an unexpected way. He has had two episodes of urinary tract crystal blockage in the last three months, such that my vet has lent me the apparatus to unblock him at home.

This is a nerve-wracking situation and it is more important than ever to offer him water over the day, to keep him hydrated enough that his urine is dilute and the crystals are washed easily away.

My suspicion is that as this increases a point will come, not too long in the future, where I will have to put him down. His has been a happy life and one of endless discomfort and distress is not how I want it to end. But that decision will not be an easy one.

No comments: